The attendees were familiarized with the Aditya Birla Education Trust and its various units by Ms Lata Punetha, Business Development & Marketing Manager, ABEA. Various courses and programs offered by ABEA were introduced to the school leaders.
The roundtable consisted of a varied set of panellists from School Owners to Academic Directors & Principals, ensuring that both academia and administrative leadership were well represented at the discussion on ‘The School Leader: Developing Essential Professional Skills for Moving Ordinary Schools to Extraordinary’.
The panel comprised Mr. Roshan Gandhi, Director - Strategy, CMS Lucknow, Ms. Neha Singh, Director Academics & Innovation, Lucknow Public Schools & Colleges, Ms. Beena Nair, AVP, MR Jaipuria Schools, Ms. Poonam Kochitty, Principal, Seth Anandram Jaipuria School, Mr. Karuna Kant Sharma, Principal, Lucknow Public School, Dr. Deepti Dwivedi, Principal, DPS Eldeco and Ms. Bharati Thakore, Founder & CEO, New Millennium Education Partners.
Key Takeaways from the panel discussion were;
- For changing the current teaching methods, teachers need to include more activities, shift into the role of a facilitator and focus on student centred, interdisciplinary teaching.
- Future ready teaching qualities need to include emotional intelligence; teachers need to use technology as a tool to empower content.
- Schools require a structured induction and training program, along with constant audit and feedback of classroom teaching.
- Peer observation and training sessions based on grouped competencies aid teacher development, especially for experienced teachers.
- The Leaders were of the opinion that the B.Ed needs to be upgraded every 5 years and must include more practical learning and classroom teaching as a part of the curriculum for teachers.
The latter part of the meeting witnessed a group discussion by facilitated by Ms Manasi Gokhale, Manager: Outreach & Content, Mpower which focused on issues pertaining to child & adolescent mental health. The school leaders shared details of activities undertaken in their schools to promote mental health and also discussed the many issues they face at the school level.